Tuesday 23 October 2012

And so we went to Carpenter & Cook

Entrance to a cosy hangout space
Colourful, patterned tiles against cement screed flooring + sewing machine base
Enamel cups and glass saucers that my grandparents would still have. 
Was that plate melamine? I forgot. 
Weighing scales from past eras where things didn't break down so easily 
Passionfruit meringue...and the green table (you're still on my mind)



Over the weekend, we needed a break from home (yes, that happens when you work from home) and so decided to check out the cafe Carpenter & Cook. It's pretty far from our place, but it was well worth the trip. Step past the lovely frontage, and inside, it's such a cute little cafe! Love the interior filled with vintage pieces, old weighing scales, mismatched furniture and fabric bunting hanging from the ceiling. 

It's got a great vibe, and the cafe was filled with youngish, trendy people. Since we had a heavy lunch, we had a cappuccino each (hello, enamel cups) and shared dessert. It was certainly good to see that business was brisk there on a weekend. Although that also meant that we couldn't stay longer than we had wanted to. I left quite reluctantly. 

I like too that although it was located near the busy roads at Upper Bukit Timah, it's tucked away on a quiet stretch of old shops. Accessible, yet not that accessible. I bet if we were to live much nearer to the cafe, it would be a nice place to just relax on a weekday afternoon (that too happens when you work from home), and listen to music from Ingrid Michaelson and, heck, even Bobby McFerrin or the Beatles. That'd make it all complete. 

For the past few years, I've been getting my vintage styling fix from the Australian magazine Inside Out, so it's been heartening to see it catching on here. And, of course, the greenie in me approves totally; why throw out stuff that are so good and getting harder to find? 

Needless to say, going to such spaces like Carpenter & Cook got me itching to do something to my apartment again. Had a very strong urge to cart home the green table. I couldn't get enough of the distressed look and texture, and the antique sewing machine base. 

I'm still thinking about the table...




2 comments:

Share your thoughts...