Saturday 6 October 2012

Almost a year into Bikram Yoga...


And I'm still far from doing this! This, however, shall be my ultimate goal.

I have to admit that my practice hasn't been consistent. There's a story behind it, but I'll come to it later.

They say you'll always remember your first Bikram class, and, I sure did. It was hot, sweaty, tough, but exhilarating. And I actually found some of the poses easy. Hearing the Bikram dialogue for the first time was pretty entertaining. But what got me was after the class. 

I was totally wiped out and I had the mother of all migraines that lasted through the afternoon and night before I caved in and took some painkillers. A quick google later, I found out that I was most likely dehydrated. Like most people, I was chronically dehydrated, and it was a reminder that I needed and would not forget. So, now, I make sure that I load up on water the day before class, and drink more water throughout the day. 

It's been 8 months into Bikram now, and I've come to be quite familiar with it. I know at which point of the dialogue that it's time to come out of the pose (although sometimes the instructors slip in an additional few seconds). And I have my favourite spot in the torture chamber. 

So now here's the story behind the inconsistent practice. I started with going once a week in the first few months, and then decided to increase it to twice a week. I think it's not much, because some people do it every day. But then, once, while in the shower after class, I felt a strong sensation in my spine as if something shifted in there. I was quite alarmed by it. Added to that, I came across this book in the library, The Science of Yoga: The Risks and the Rewards by William J. Broad, who himself has been practicing yoga since 1970.

The book covered the history of yoga back in India (interesting, but pretty dry). And then it went into how yoga can heal, yet it can also cause injuries if care is not taken, particularly with areas like the neck and back. That to me was particularly important, as most of the time, the information we receive about yoga tends to gloss over the injuries and risks. It was also shocking to hear that some teacher training courses can be as short as two weeks! There are even online courses for it (what?!). That being said, Bikram has one of the longest and rigorous teacher training courses, running at nine weeks full-time. 

The author finished with how there needs to be stronger checks and some kind of accreditations for yoga practitioners to teach. It was a fascinating read. Whether you agree or don't with what's in the book, I think it's a thoughtful one for those who are learning and teaching yoga.

But reading the book made me more apprehensive about yoga. I guess I shouldn't be, but I did. At the studio I go to, it is really easy to push yourself too hard during class. Some of the instructors (obviously Type A personalities) tend to adopt a military style of communicating the dialogue so as to get the students to work hard. It can be good, but with everyone else at different levels in one class, you subconsciously feel that you have to keep up with the rest of the class. For the very beginners, that sets up the possibility of going way beyond what you should.

Given that strange, pain sensation I had, I took more than a month before I dared to go back to the studio. And I also realised something this year. I have a tendency to do something in spurts, and maybe overdo things (shin splints. familiar?) beyond what my body can take. Not many people's bodies can take going all out right from the start. Obviously, mine can't. I'm bummed about it, but I'll keep going. 

So these days, I try to take it more gently in class (if I remember) and focus more on form. Funnily, I find the male instructors are less of the 'go go go!' type. I enjoy those classes more, those by teachers who weave in their personal stories and bits of information on how to get the form right, while always putting in reminders on how to avoid injury. Because ultimately avoiding injury is the most crucial thing for a long-term and uninterrupted practice, yet it's what is often being left unsaid. 

So, yes, now I look forward to doing it till I get my Standing Head to Knee pose right....even if it'll have to take me five years.

This drawing below is really funny, by the way. So true! 

Image from The Iron You



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts...