Wednesday 16 January 2013

No love for the molar bands right now

Photo: www.royal-ortho.com

Three days ago, I had two more extractions and bands on my lower molars. My wounds are healing okay. I had thought that I would have been able to eat normally after the bothersome separators are gone and my molar bands are in. I was hoping to have a last hurrah before the brackets and arch wire come on, but I don't see it any time yet. Right now, it's been hard to eat, even eating mashed avocados, as I would unintentionally bite my inner cheeks. They make my jaw ache a little too. While the ortho was putting them on, it was more painful on one side.
But, still, I'm grateful because the molar bands are not really hurting my tongue. I've read enough on the Internet on other's people's experience with the tongue being cut and bleeding and all because of the molar bands. So I'm okay.

I've always wondered what people meant when they said about the pain issues due to braces. So I thought I'd rate it on a scale from 1 to 10:

Pain: 3 out of 10
Discomfort and hassle: 7 out of 10

I'm rating 3 for pain, because pain only occurs when I accidentally bite on my inner cheeks. Hence, the discomfort and hassle level is much higher because I'm eating super slowly to prevent any bites. It's been soups so far. Even mashed potatoes and avocados are a bit of hassle to eat because I tend to bite on the cheeks accidentally more often. I do hope that the molar bands scratching on my inner cheeks would help to toughen them up a little bit in preparation for the brackets next week.

And here's hoping that everything heals nicely by Friday so I could have a nice proper meal before another week of liquids again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts...