Wednesday 23 January 2013

Hello, soft foods

Contents of the kit from the clinic when I got the braces on

Hello, hello. Today's my third day in braces. On Monday (today's Wednesday), I went in for the braces and got the upper arch on first, and was told that the bottom arch will go on during the next appointment. I think I love my ortho for staggering it out, because so far it's been manageable.

I felt quite a bit of discomfort yesterday, starting from the first day, mainly on one of my two front teeth. Whenever it makes contact with the bottom tooth, it will trigger a shooting pain. Feels like a nerve thing, so talking was a little difficult because it will accidentally touch, and no way Jose on chewing. So yes, it's been soups and ice cream for the past few days. 

I've been taking paracetamol, so whenever that hit happens, the pain is still there, but it's duller. Other than that, I don't really feel much from braces. Just a little bit of tightness. Wait, okay, save for one of the brackets making a deep impression on the inside of my mouth. Woke up feeling a little swollen there. Dental wax helps to relieve it. But, given that there's noooo ulcers yet, I'm super grateful.

Pain: 8 because of that sensitive tooth (without Panadol), 6 (with Panadol)
Discomfort and hassle: 4 (still getting used to brushing 4 to 5 times a day)

Hope this is as much pain and discomfort as it goes throughout the experience with Damon Clear. I actually find the separators and molar bands were worse so far. Will have to see how it goes with the rubber bands and powerchains later on during the stage. Keeping fingers crossed.

This picture above, by the way, is the contents of the kit I got from the clinic when I got the braces. The usual suspects (clockwise from top left) of floss, mouthwash, toothpaste, Interspace brush, toothbrush, dental mirror and a box of dental wax. 

Diet wise, the thing about eating soups and ice cream is that I get hungry real fast, and I find myself wanting to eat ALL THE TIME. But the thought of brushing again and again was a hassle. So that I think is why people shed the weight when on braces. I've found a way to feel full longer: mash a whole piece of silken tofu in Campbell's soups. The best soups for this so far are tomato soup and cream of chicken. They look like vomit or baby food, but they work. Pieces of mushroom are a pain to chew, so I'm just staying away from mushroom soups for now. And as for fruits and vegetables, which I miss terribly, I've been eating mashed bananas, as well as homemade applesauce (with very, very little sugar). Tastes really refreshing after being cooled in the fridge overnight! 

On another note, I cannot wait to get back to yoga. Miss the hot room. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts...